Friday 11 July 2014

Chicken and bacon quesadillas

Its a red day, that means plenty of meat and veggies. I usually have a salad for red day lunches, but this week I wanted to try something different. I'd been watching some cooking videos on YouTube and saw a recipe for low fat quesadillas. Their version of what constitutes low fat and mine were a little different, so I took the idea for the recipe and really cut the fat down to Slimming World proportions.

I have to make the following disclaimer, wraps are not yet classed as a healthy extra B choice, but as a single wrap weighs the same as the bread allowance for a B choice, I count it as one. For those of you who disagree, count the wrap as 6.5 syns (your mileage may vary depending on size / brand).

Ingredients

1 wholemeal wrap
30g grated mature cheddar cheese (60g if you want to use 2 x Healthy A)
3 rashers bacon, with all visible fat removed
50g sweet chilli chicken / any kind of spicy fat free chicken, chopped
½ sweet red pepper, chopped
3 spring onions, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
2 tbsp hot salsa
2-3 squirts fry light spray oil

How to

  1. Dry fry your bacon and peppers, cut the bacon into strips, set to one side when cooked.
  2. Squirt your frying pan and place the wrap in the pan and cook over a med-high heat for one min.
  3. Turn the heat down to medium and spread the salsa on the wrap
  4. Sprinkle the cheese onto the wrap
  5. Add the onion, peppers, tomato, bacon and chicken to one half of the wrap
  6. Fold the wrap in half and cook till the wrap is golden, carefully turn the wrap over and continue cooking until the wrap is golden on the other side too.
  7. Cut into 4 'pizza' style slices and serve with a fresh green salad.
My mouth still loves me for making this meal. It feels like a really decadent meal (I used 2 x healthy extra A portions of cheese - 60g) and it was worth every syn. SW have asked that bloggers don't post too many details about their system, as they don't want folks learning the plan for free, but apart from the wrap the rest of the ingredients total less than one syn.

If you are not following SW's plan you could add a couple of table spoons of low fat sour cream, but it really doesn't need it. I think this has beaten out my BBQ pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich for top spot on my all time favorite lunches. I even think it might have toppled Nando's from my ultimate lunch menu.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I tried your recipe today, freaking awesome dude. Thanks.